Monday, February 28, 2011

The Story of Stuff

I had homework to do this weekend - look at a video - The Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard and come up with discussion questions for College Prep on Monday with the high school students. Well the video was very interesting and it is thought provoking. It definitely made me think about all the stuff I buy and if I really need them and the time, effort, energy put into producing these things and the negative effects on the environment and people etc. It's about a System in Crisis - the Materials Economy which involves a flawed linear system from Extraction, Production, Distribution, Consumption and finally to Disposal.


Take a look at the video





The students had a great discussion on this video ranging from some of them understanding the concepts and what Annie is trying to say to one student saying "She's high on drugs!" Ah, the young minds off today! 


Anyways so my view on this is that I understand where she is coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with all that she is saying. It's a good video to be used as a "Wake up call" to all of us who fall mainly in the CONSUMER category. It's food for thought for when next you are going to upgrade your electronics or dispose of something improperly and before it's lifespan is up! 


For a great review you can see here 

Annie Leonard’s “The Story of Stuff” review and analysis


Well enjoy and I hope we all learn a thing or two!
Have a great day everyone. 
Leandra 

No comments:

Search This Blog